Edmund Williams was assigned Justice of Washington County in 1787 and owned land along Buffalo Creek. This land has now become the Milligan campus we know today. In 1866, Wilson Gilvan Barker arrived at Buffalo Creek Christian Church (now Hopwood Memorial Christian Church) to serve as a school principal, establishing higher education for young men and women. Barker renovated the church, but saw the need for additional space to grow the school. On December 10, 1866, a charter was created, naming the school the Buffalo Male and Female Institute. In 1867, Joshua Williams, Edmund William’s grandson, donated the first acre of land for the construction of the new school building. In the autumn of 1875, Josephus and Sarah Eleanor LaRue Hopwood arrived at the Buffalo Institute as the school’s new primary administrators. On April 21, 1881, Hopwood expanded the new school building and announced the new building to be named Milligan College, named after his beloved professor Robert Milligan. Josephus Hopwood served as Milligan’s first president. Josephus and Sarah Hopwood brought Milligan into a new era with Sarah’s coined phrase: "Christian Education, the Hope of the World."

Recent Submissions

  • Josephus Hopwood, c. 1903 

    Unknown author (c. 1903)
    In the early 1870s, Josephus Hopwood attended the College of the Bible at Kentucky University, where he studied under Robert Milligan and J. W. McGarvey. Both Milligan and McGarvey were prominent Disciples of Christ leaders ...
  • Postal Card from Wilson G. Barker to Josephus Hopwood, July 29, 1875 

    Barker, Wilson Gilvan (1875-07-29)
    A postal card from Wilson Barker to Josephus Hopwood informing Hopwood of his election as Principal of the Buffalo Male and Female Institute, dated July 29, 1875.
  • Subscription List, 1867 

    Unknown author (1878-06-07)
    On June 7, 1867, seventy-nine subscribers pledged $1553 to build a new school building on the acre of land that was donated by Joshua Williams. The Institute, a two-story structure built by bricks fired on-site, was ...
  • Buffalo Male and Female Institute circular, 1878 

    Unknown author (1878)
    This Buffalo Male and Female Institute circular would have been distributed prior to September 2, 1878, announcing the school term of fall 1878. On this circular, Josephus and Sarah Eleanor Hopwood are noted as principals ...
  • Oldest known record of the Buffalo Institute, March 28, 1866 

    Wilson G. Barker (1866-03-28)
    This is a copy of the oldest known record of Buffalo Male and Female Institute. It is a statement of charges and credits to G. W. and S. W. Williams on behalf of their children. It is signed by Wilson G. Barker, founder ...
  • Wilson G. Barker, c. 1865 

    J. Smarer (1865)
    Rev. Wilson Gilvan Barker was born near Bristol, Virginia, on December 25, 1830. He was trained as a school teacher and served as a Colonel in the Confederate forces during the Civil War. On February 4, 1866, Barker was ...
  • Land Grant to Edmund Williams, 1782 

    State of North Carolina (1782-10)
    Edmund Williams received this land grant dated 1782 by the State of North Carolina for 640 acres of land along Buffalo Creek.

Milligan

© Milligan College. All Rights Reserved.