In celebration of Milligan’s Sesquicentennial Anniversary, this archival exhibit reveals how student-life and the campus landscape has changed (or has stayed the same) over the past 150 years. Most of the images displayed in this exhibit are digitized Kodachrome and Ektachrom 35 mm slides, which have not been made available from the College Archives until now. What may be most striking are the May Day celebration slides viewed in color, since most photos previously shared from the College Archives have been black and white prints. In this exhibit are views of Anglin Field during a Milligan football game, freshmen students wearing traditional orange and black dinks during Freshmen Week, and the ever-constant Buffalo Creek and Buffalo Mountain, the backdrop of our historic landscape these 150 years. The images used in this exhibit are photo reprints of slides and photos from the Milligan College Archives and Special Collections and the Helsabeck Archives. Curated by Lindsay Kenderes.

Recent Submissions

  • Buffalo Mountain 

    Unknown author (undated)
    View of Buffalo Mountain from Milligan College.
  • Buffalo Creek 

    Unknown author (1977)
    Students sit beside Buffalo Creek, c. 1977.
  • Emmanuel Christian Seminary, c. 1970s 

    Unknown author (1970)
    Students walking into Emmanuel School of Religion (now Emmanuel Christian Seminary at Milligan College), c. 1970s.
  • Students walking on campus, c. 1970s 

    Unknown author (1970)
    Students walking between classes on campus, c. 1970s. Buffalo Mountain in background.
  • Freshmen Week, 1969 

    Unknown author (1969-09)
    Freshmen students wearing dinks and beanies walking by Milligan’s entrance and Post Office during Freshmen Week, September 1969.
  • Freshmen Week, 1969 

    Unknown author (1969-09)
    Freshmen students wearing traditional orange and black dinks and beanies during Freshmen Week, September 1969.
  • P. H. Welshimer Memorial Library 

    Unknown author (1965)
    A view of the P.H. Welshimer Memorial Library, c. 1960s. Sutton Hall is seen above the library.
  • Students playing tennis, c. 1955 

    Unknown author (1955)
    Students play a tennis match on Milligan’s old tennis courts, c. 1955. The tennis courts in this photo no longer exist and have been replaced by a parking lot, which sits below Hardin Hall, across from the P. H. Welshimer ...
  • Group of students, c. 1947 

    Unknown author (1947)
    A group of students stand in front of the Administration Building (Derthick Hall), c. 1947
  • Students sit beside Buffalo Creek, c. 1947 

    Unknown author (1947)
    Two students sit beside Buffalo Creek, c. 1947
  • May Day, 1954 

    Unknown author (1954)
    May Day Court holds onto streamers before going around the Maypole during the May Day Festival on campus, c. 1954. Derthick Hall in background.
  • May Day, 1955 

    Unknown author (1955)
    May Day Court circles the Maypole in front of Hardin Hall, c. 1955.
  • May Day, 1954 

    Unknown author (1954)
    A May Day Court procession, 1954. King and Queen of May, Leonard Gallimore and Betty Jeanne Snodgrass.
  • Milligan College students in front of Administration Building, c. 1930 

    Unknown author (1930)
    A group of Milligan students pose in front of the Administration Building (Derthick Hall) for a formal photo, c. 1930.
  • Milligan College students on tennis court, 1938 

    Unknown author (1938)
    A group of students watch at tennis match on Milligan’s old tennis courts, c. 1935. Pardee Hall, which served as a student dorm, is seen in the corner of this photo. This dorm no longer exists on campus. The tennis ...
  • Milligan College Speech Class at Buffalo Creek, 1935 

    Unknown author (1935)
    A Milligan speech class at Buffalo Creek’s waterfall, 1935.
  • Milligan College Football Game on Anglin Field, c. 1925 

    Unknown author (1925)
    View of Anglin Field during a Milligan football game, c. 1925.
  • Milligan College Football Game, c. 1925 

    Unknown author (1925)
    Spectators watch a Milligan football game on Anglin Field, c. 1925. A row of Model T cars parked along the top ridge.
  • Milligan College Campus Day, 1912 

    Unknown author (1912)
    Students participating in "Campus Day" in front of the Administration Building (now Derthick Hall) and Hopwood House, c. 1912.
  • Milligan College students, c.1907 

    Unknown author (1907)
    Milligan College students from Virginia sitting in front of the Hopwood House, c. 1907. The Hopwood House, named after Milligan President, Josephus Hopwood and his wife Sarah Eleanor LaRue Hopwood, served as a students’ ...

View more


Milligan

© Milligan College. All Rights Reserved.